Charles Stack on Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:10:21 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Redhat 6.2 RPM upgrade

That's okay.  I downloaded RH 7 Fisher beta (2.4.0 kernel).  Apparently, in
RH 7, they replaced inetd with xinetd.  For the life of me, I can not
connnect to a telnet session (except one time).  Each time I want to telnet
in, I have to restart xinetd.  Anybody have any ideas here?  I'm about to
revert back to 6.2, download the latest kernel, and deal with the NFS issues
later....all this so I can install Kylix.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Rupert Heesom
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2001 4:18 PM
To: Philly LUG; redhat-list@redhat.com
Subject: [PLUG] Redhat 6.2 RPM upgrade

I'm running RH6.2, and RPM 3.0.5.  I'm trying to upgrade the RPM
database to RPM 4 so that I can handle the new RH7 RPMs.   Supposedly an
upgrade to RPM 4 is possible without upgrading the entire distro to RH7.

I downloaded the RPMs for RPM 4:  rpm-4.0-4.i386.rpm, and the devel rpm.

When I tried to install these, I got dependancy issues:  glibc 2.2, "db1
1.85" seemed to be the main extra modules needed.

Now when I'm trying to install these modules, I have a whole lot more
dependancy issues.....

I'm wondering whether in fact I _can_ upgrade my RPM database without
upgrading 1/2 my system?

--
regs
rupert