Bill Jonas on Thu, 8 Feb 2001 17:22:53 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Unix vs Dos for Virus Content

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 04:33:20PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:
> nevertheless, i think popularity is still the main argument for the
> proliferation of viruses via windows machines... as soon as linux will
> have replaced windows (if it does), it won't take long for email worms
> to surface for linux. somehow someone will figure something out...

I have to disagree with you here -- while most Windows users use Outlook
or Outlook Express, *nix users can't even come to a concensus on
*filesystem layout*, let alone choice of MUA.  :)

Besides that, no *nix mailer I know of automatically executes scripts and
code embedded into email.  (Well, perhaps Netscape mail, if you don't turn
off "Enable JavaScript for mail and news".)

Failing that:
"Should I get anti-virus software for my Linux box?"
  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#virus
"But didn't security expert Simson Garfinkel say that all Linux systems
need virus checkers?"
  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#virus2

Not to mention the incredible diversity of Linux installations and
distributions out there.  When most of the trees were elms, Dutch Elm
Disease was a big problem...

--
Bill Jonas                | "In contrast to the What You See Is What You
bill@billjonas.com        |  Get (WYSIWYG) philosophy, UNIX is the You