LeRoy Cressy on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:17:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] pkspxycwrap

MaD dUCK wrote:

> i don't really want to use gpg. all i care for now is *why* the
> debian/suse/redhat/slackware pgp installs as well as all tarballs i
> have tried (pgp 6.5.x) come with the pgp6.rc file referencing a
> non-existant program which i cannot even locate separately on the
> internet...
>
> martin

In answer to your question as to why you can install a broken program
using either the Debian, RedHat, or tar ball is easy:

The Debian package magament system has good dependency checking built
into the system, but if the files that ar packed into the .deb file are
broken like pgp6.rc mentioned above there should be a dependency for the
package that contains the missing file.

The same goes for the RedHat package manager.

On the other hand tar files contain no dependency information.  All a
tar file is an archive of files that you can extract.

In the case of Debian you should file a bug report about the missing
dependancy or file.

I hope that this helps

LeRoy

--