Rupert Heesom on Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:21:01 -0500

[PLUG] Microsoft approaching Linux guys

Web page with story:
http://www.it.fairfax.com.au/software/20010212/A21446-2001Feb12.html?tn

Microsoft looks for Linux inspiration
By BARRY PARK
Monday, February 12, 2001

MICROSOFT has begun seeking Australian Linux talent to help the software
giant develop its next-generation Windows operating system.

An international recruiter from Microsoft's Redmond headquarters has
approached Linux user groups in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide seeking
software developers interested in joining the company's Windows core
networking team.

The approach, via e-mail, invites developers to attend interviews to be
held in Sydney next month. The company is seeking people with a
postgraduate university degree in computer science or a related field as
well as "very strong abilities to write code in C/C++".

"I understand lovers of Linux/Unix sometimes don't have much love for
Microsoft . . . (but) We are looking for the best and brightest to join
our team to produce the next generation of Windows," the e-mail from
Microsoft international associate recruiter Holly Lindsey says.

Brian Walshe, the general manager of .Net practice for Australian
software development house Praxa, says the approach to a group
recognised for outward shows of hostility towards Microsoft was nothing
new.

"I think that's probably an example of something that goes on on an
ongoing basis," Walshe said.

"I think what you find is that they (Microsoft) are smart enough to
recognise that they need to look as much outside their own skills set as
they do within. "From their point of view, if you're looking at the next
generation of Windows, getting the input of people who are potentially
critical of the platform is a good balance for people on the inside," he
said.

Walshe said the core Linux groups were "often fanatical about what it is
that they are doing" and often had a deep technical grasp of the
product. "Those people - whether it's Linux or anything else - that's
the way they normally look at whatever software or platform they are
dealing with," he said.

"From a Microsoft perspective, getting those guys at least understanding
what it is that Microsoft's trying to do and be seen to be listening is
an important factor.

"The major attraction for Linux for a number of people . . . is that
they have input into it.

"I think Microsoft is recognising that that's something they need to
explore."

Walshe said Australia was "about number three" in the international
recruitment ranks for companies seeking developers from outside the
United States.

"One thing that you find about Microsoft is that they like to recruit
the best and brightest people.

"Whatever you think of the product, there's some incredibly bright
people working there and they've always been able to attract smart
people.

"If they're approaching Linux user groups over here for the networking
side of things, it's because obviously they think there's some value in
talking to those people. "If the people are skilled and can add value to
their product, my guess is that they'd love to have them on board."

Prominent members of the Australian Linux community include Keith Owens,
who maintains a Linux kernel cluster system that optimises memory use
known as modutils, Andrew Clausen, who maintains a Linux partition
editor, as well as kernel networking and filing code developer Paul
"Rusty" Russel, and Samba file sharing system author Andrew Tridgell.

The final word has to go to the Linux Users of Victoria. In a carefully
worded statement issued on the subject late last week, the group said:
"We're glad to see that Microsoft has finally recognised the superior
quality of Linux and the Linux programming community."

--
regs
rupert