Jeff Dean on Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:00:19 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Using dual Processors with VMware?

At 01:16 AM 2/14/01 -0500, you wrote:
>On 14 Feb 2001 00:11:54 -0500, Jeff Dean wrote:
>> I run VMware with Win98 and two niced SETI@home processes constantly on a Dual P-II/333 box with 192MB.  Windows performance is reasonable.  I've also had another VM running NT4, with no problems.

I did the same thing with 128MB and gave the Win98 VM 32MB.  After I added the extra RAM I moved the VM to 64MB.  It's never appeared to be memory starved, even when running X and a bunch of other apps interactively.

>Do you think the Dual P IIs give you a significant boost above what lots
>of memory would give you?

I don't know, since I've never run this box with only one.  I can tell you that it's not thrashing.  It depends on the memory needs of your application, I suppose.

the Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence @ home (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/) distributed computing project.  Yes, "niced" means lower priority.

>--
>regs
>rupert