Michael Leone on Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:43:23 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Using dual Processors with VMware?

> Looks like your idea of a dedicated disk is a good idea!
>
> I'm not yet sure though that more than 256Mb RAM is needed.  If I use
> 128Mb for LInux, 64Mb for Netware, 32Mb for NT4 (I have that currently,
> seems to work OK), I would need a total of 225Mb.

Nt with only 32M of RAM (even in VMWare) is a little thin. Netware should be
just fine, unless you're planning to actuall have 40-50 users hitting that
Netware server. :-)

> However, the more RAM the better.......
>
> Talking of RAM upgrades, do you know whether one can get a RAM module
> "caddy".....an expansion board that can hold DIMM modules, and will
> itself plug into the proper DIMM slot?
> You know....something that can allow more than just the usual 3 DIMMs to
> be used on one motherboard.   I remember seeing something like that for
> using the 30pin SIMMs with a 72pin SIMM slot.

Those things are not the best of ideas. And I've never seen one for a DIMM -
only the older 30pin SIMMs.

If you're going to spend money anyway, get a higher density DIMM, instead.
Some places will allow you to trade in old DIMMs, and get a (small) price
break on a higher capacity DIMM.