Clinton Roane on Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:19:18 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Re: Help

Sadly I did try WURD, but the perl script did not work.  That is also were I
got the information on how to (or that I needed to) edit my chap-secrets
file.  I don't know if the perl script is old or outdated, but when I tried
to run the script perl wouldn't compile due to a lot of errors in the
script.  Oh, I also tried emailing the author of the help article on WURD
but got a returned email that the address was unknown.  Linux magazines
often give a simple walk-thru on setting up kppp but don't explain that you
may have to edit a ppp options file or a CHAP/PAP-secrets file.  And I do
use Kppp.  AT&T is a good service but I am about to give up on them because
what good is a linux box if you can't connect to the internet.

Thanks for the reply, Clint

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Beldon
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 7:37 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Re: Help

> I have experience with Linux for a few years but have no experience with
> networking/PPP.  I have installed Redhat 7 but am having problems with
> connecting to my ISP (AT&T).  They don't support Linux but they say you
can
> connect using the CHAP protocol.  My modem works fine and I am able to
> communicate with AT&T but I receive the error message.  I'm using Kppp.
> Gnome's dialer just doesn't seem to work right.  My error message is as
> follows:
>
> pppd 2.3 started by root, uid 0
> using interface ppp0
> connect ppp0<--> /dev/ttyS1
> Remote message: user domain missing/unknown/inhibited
> CHAP authentication failed
> HANGUP (SIGHUP)
> modem hangup
> connection terminated
> exit
>
> I understand that you have to edit your chap-secrets file which I've done
>
>  ?????@worldnet.att.net * "password" *
>
> where ????? indicates the user name.  I believe the Remote message is
trying
> to tell me something but I don't know what.  Do I have to give my computer
> name instead of Localhost?  I've tried to do that also before I
reinstalled
> Redhat but it didn't' work.  Any help would be appreciated.

Go to  http://www.wurd.com/ (Worldnet Users Reference Desk) for information
on how to set up Linux.  I used to have AT&T and although they don't
"officially" support Linux, that website has some step-by-step instructions.
I recommend using the KDE utility kppp-- it is the most intuitive and
reliable.  But they had (and probably still have) a Perl script which will
connect you up just fine (anbd dynamically sets up DNS servers and such so
it
won't screw up any other settings you may have.

Here's the page on the script:

http://www.wurd.com/eng/setup/dialers/linux.html

Here's the link for kppp

http://www.wurd.com/eng/setup/dialers/linux_kppp.htm