Beldon on Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:49:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: Help

> Sadly I did try WURD, but the perl script did not work.  That is also were I
> got the information on how to (or that I needed to) edit my chap-secrets
> file.  I don't know if the perl script is old or outdated, but when I tried
> to run the script perl wouldn't compile due to a lot of errors in the
> script.  Oh, I also tried emailing the author of the help article on WURD
> but got a returned email that the address was unknown.  Linux magazines
> often give a simple walk-thru on setting up kppp but don't explain that you
> may have to edit a ppp options file or a CHAP/PAP-secrets file.  And I do
> use Kppp.  AT&T is a good service but I am about to give up on them because
> what good is a linux box if you can't connect to the internet.
>
> Thanks for the reply, Clint

What kind of errors were you getting in the Perl script?  I had originally
cut and pasted it from a Windows machine and copied it to my Linux box.  The
trouble was that Windows adds invisible characters to the ends of the lines,
causing lots of "file not found" type errors.  I had to load the script into
pico, save it, the run it (which had the effect of stripping out the extra
invisible LF characters at the ends of all the lines.

If you are not copying and pasting the Perl script from windows, then there
is another potential problem.  The script has some forward and backward
single-quotes which look nearly identical and are hard to discern from
Netscape (especially using the default fonts RH sets up for you).  You might
want to look that up.

There's basically no reason that the Perl script should have errors in it.
Perl hasn't changed its basic functionality that much since RH6.2 (which is
what I used the script on).

--
For translation:  http://www.kluge.net/ungeek.html