Mental on Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:10:17 -0500

[PLUG] Re: total linux newbie here

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 09:04:24AM -0800, matty mo wrote:
> Hi. found you on the PLUG site. i live in the jersey
> burbs. i'm a total Linux neophyte. maybe you care to
> help? - a few months ago an acquiantance of an
> acquaintance came over and we installed redhat on it's
> own parition here on my Compaq Presario 5461. it's
> there and all is well, HOWEVER... we were unable to go
> into GUI mode due to the proprietary windows "software
> video card" (or so I was told) - same thing with the
> modem. yuck. as a newbie I don't really know what to
> do with the command line - i know - i'm silly and need
> to learn.
>
> i want very much to escape from the microsoft
> universe.
>
> is there a workaround? is this really why we can't go
> GUI? the acquaintance is long gone and though i had
> the best intentions of attending the december,
> january, and february meetings of PLUG i have been
> unable due to being a primary care giver for my
> elderly father. i have the meeting on the 7th of march
> marked on my calendar and hope to be able to attend.
> in the meantime any help or information you might care
> to give would be MUCH appreciated.
>
> matt
> p.s.
> i am also open to buying a used or new system to run
> Linux if the compaq truelly can't handle it - let me
> know if you have any contacts who would be interested
> in providing that solution should it come down to that.

Hi there. I wasnt aware I was on the plug website. I havent been active on
that list in quite some time.

WIthout the details of what hardware you're attempting to use, the
software distro/xfree version the best I could do is guess. You'd probably
be better off mailing the plug list. I'm rather sure they'd be better able
to walk you through things than me. Buying a new computer may be drastic
tho.

--
Mental

A pill to make you numb