gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:32:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] high load average

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 10:17:39PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> No; I've seen (on the postfix mailing list) where someone once mentioned
> that their Linux mail server once temporarily hit *6* on a load average
> (while cleared a heavily backed up mail queue). So I doubt that means
> 600%, or that this guy had 6 processors.

You're still not getting it.

The point is that if it WERE possible, the processes running could
use (about) load average times the available resources.

Not that they are, just that that's what's being requested.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net