Michael Leone on Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:10:57 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Ethernet/DSL setup question

On 15 Mar 2001 21:35:58 -0500, Michael C. Toren wrote:
> > > I thought PPPoE would use IP as the Network Layer Protocol. Isn't this the
> > > case for normal PPP dialup connections too ?
> >
> > Yeah but there's a specific kernel bit to compile (as a module or not).  I'm
> > not sure how to implement, though-- 'cos I hate PPPoE and have never used it.
>
> I was under the impression that the only kernel support you needed to run
> the Linux pppoe client was packet sockets, which most kernels already have.
> I've never had the need to use pppoe, but looking over the documentation,
> setup seems fairly simple.  Has anyone out there had any direct experience
> with it?

Unfortunately. :-(

PPPOE (usually implemented as a daemon from Roaring Penguin Software,
altho there are other alternatives, I'm told) is a customized version of
the ppp daemon. The RP client has adsl-config, adsl-start and adsl-stop
commands (to configure, start and stop the service, obviously). Also,
I'm told - but haven't seen it in code for myself - that it implements a
kind of firewall capability (filters out only certain, limited kinds of
packets). It also has a dhcp client built-in, since pppoe is (almost
exclusively) dyanmically addressed.

There is no kernel recompile necessary; there's no pppoe in the kernel
config.

pppoe is only used for cable/dsl connections, AFAIK. Like any ppp
connection, you have to start and stop the service. So much for 'always
on" service. :-/

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890

And if it's too much fun, that oughta clue you, son
You're probably doing something that's wrong ...
                                  "Don't Do It"
                                  Little Charlie and the Nightcats