Michael C. Toren on Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:32:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Ethernet/DSL setup question

> PPPOE (usually implemented as a daemon from Roaring Penguin Software,
> altho there are other alternatives, I'm told) is a customized version of
> the ppp daemon. The RP client has adsl-config, adsl-start and adsl-stop

Last time I looked, the Roaring Penguin software communicated with the
standard PPP software through a pipe (using pppd's "vty" command) rather
than implementing the PPP protocol itself.  Did this change?

> pppoe is only used for cable/dsl connections, AFAIK. Like any ppp
> connection, you have to start and stop the service. So much for 'always
> on" service. :-/

Right, but you can just start pppd on boot, and never kill it, yes?  If
you're using the Debian package, this is as easy as moving the file
/etc/ppp/no_ppp_on_boot to /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot.

-mct