Charles Chambers on Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:37:35 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Ethernet/DSL setup question

I had some luck with RH 6.1, or 6.2 and www.roaringpenquin.com.
Setup was nice and easy to follow. (I am good enough with linux to know I am not good enough
with linux.)

The box ran great for the few weeks verizon could keep from screwing around with the line.

Bear in mind that under no circumstances, should you tell the first level
techs at verizon that you are using linux. No matter how proud you are! This will only serve to
create more problems for you, as they are scripted and clueless.

If you need to troubleshoot the connection with them, have a windows box handy. They cannot deviate from the scripts,
because they are completely not able to understand Windows, let alone linux. They also only understand the WinPoET
error messages.

I could go on and on, but why: http://www.dslreports.com/reviews/552

There is a Linksys DSL router which works nicely, and supports pppoe, and now IPSec passthru.
1 port: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=223364
4 port: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=196823

Charles