Bill Jonas on Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:00:13 -0500

[PLUG] SSL/https support for konqueror

I'm having trouble getting konqueror to access secure sites.  Instead, I
get a dialog box that says:

Could not start process
Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_https'.

I'm running Debian unstable.  I have the kdebase-crypto package installed.
I checked debian.org.  I checked bugs.debian.org.  I checked kde.org.  I
asked Google.  Nothing.

Anybody have any ideas?  I'm getting ****really**** tired of Netscape.
Mozilla's too slow for my taste (and ate all available virtual memory
after it was running a little while on my laptop).  I'd love to try Opera,
but I find the free version unusable because of the animated
advertisements (and I'd pay for it if I could evaluate it and liked it, but
there are too many distractions).

My system is rather up-to-date.  (I believe the last time I dist-upgraded
was yesterday.)  Here are the versions of the relevant packages
(Konqueror, its dependancies, and the crypto packages.)

bj@neo:~$ dpkg -l konqueror kdebase-crypto kdelibs3-crypto $(apt-cache show konqueror |grep ^Depends |perl -e '$q=<>; $q=~s/^Depends: //; $q=~s/\(.*?\),//g; $q=~s/,//g; print $q;')
uppercase=bad)
ii  konqueror      2.1.0.1-3      KDE's advanced File Manager, Web Browser
and
ii  kdebase-crypto 2.1-final-1    KDE core applications (Crypto modules)
ii  kdelibs3-crypt 2.1-final-1    KDE core libraries (Crypto Modules)
ii  kdelibs3       2.1.0.1-4      KDE core libraries (runtime files)
ii  lesstif1       0.92.6-2       OSF/Motif implementation released under
LGPL
ii  libc6          2.2.2-1        GNU C Library: Shared libraries and
Timezone
ii  libjpeg62      6b-1.3         The Independent JPEG Group's JPEG
runtime li
ii  libkonq3       2.1.0.1-3      Core libraries for KDE's file manager
ii  libpng2        1.0.8-1        PNG library - runtime
ii  libqt2         2.3.0-final-1  Qt GUI Library (runtime version).
ii  libstdc++2.10- 2.95.3-6       The GNU stdc++ library
ii  xlibs          4.0.2-7        X Window System client libraries
ii  zlib1g         1.1.3-12       compression library - runtime
ii  kdebase-libs   2.1.0.1-3      KDE libraries amd modules for kdebase
ii  libkonq3       2.1.0.1-3      Core libraries for KDE's file manager
ii  debconf        0.9.25         Debian configuration management system

Thanks a bunch.

--
Bill Jonas                | "In contrast to the What You See Is What You
bill@billjonas.com        |  Get (WYSIWYG) philosophy, UNIX is the You