gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:39:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Screen Captures

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 12:16:58PM -0500, tpanzarella (harley) wrote:
> One way to do it is to use an Emacs shell buffer.  When you are done
> with your session on the console write the shell buffer to a file.
>
> 1. fire up emacs
> 2. M-x shell
> 3. <do what you need to do>
> 4. C-x C-w (then the name of the file you want to write the shell buffer
> to).
>
> Hope that helps.

Yeah, but that has no gain over script or tee, in that you have to
remember to do something unusual if you think you might want a
screen capture.

(Or you have to use emacs all the time, which I'm not so much in
favor of. But I use vi.)

The real point here is that, the times when I'd want to dump
something displayed in a TTY to a file are when I, say, booted
single user and am not using my usual operating environment. Which
is why I frequently do system maintenance under within script.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net