qumak on Mon, 2 Apr 2001 16:40:26 -0400

[PLUG] Using tar to copy disk drives...

Hey, I know, we've discussed this before, and I'm sorry, but I can't seem to
remember quite how to do it and its giving me some wierd problems...
heres what i'm trying:
# mount /dev/newdrive /mnt
# cd /mnt
# tar cv /`ls -1 / | grep [^mnt/]` | tar xvf -
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
admin/
admin/cgi-bin/
admin/cgi-bin/groupconfig.cgi
admin/
admin/cgi-bin/
admin/cgi-bin/groupconfig.cgi
admin/cgi-bin/monitor.cgi
admin/cgi-bin/monitor.cgi
admin/cgi-bin/settings.cgi
admin/cgi-bin/settings.cgi
admin/cgi-bin/userconfig.cgi
admin/cgi-bin/userconfig.cgi
admin/help/
admin/help/groupconfig.html
admin/help/settings.html
admin/help/
admin/help/groupconfig.html
admin/help/settings.html
admin/help/userconfig.html
admin/help/userconfig.html
admin/index.html
tar: bin: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: boot: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: c: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: d: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: dev: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: etc: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: home: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: lib: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: lost+found: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: misc: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: net: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: opt: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: plugins: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: proc: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: root: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: sbin: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: sview: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: test.test: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: tmp: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: usr: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: ut.tar.gz*: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: utmp.dpfs: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: var: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
admin/index.html

and thats what i get..
as you can see i only get the first directory (/admin) and after that it
can't 'stat' it (wtf does that mean, btw?)...
the /admin directory does copy over fine though....any suggestions?
am i making it too complicated with the regex there?  cause I don't want to
recursively copy everything it's already copied into /mnt into /mnt
again...that'd get kind of crazy.

Any Ideas are welcome, and thanked :)

--qumak(james)