multiple seriousity on Thu, 5 Apr 2001 22:17:46 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Reading Amiga floppies on x86 hardware

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Beldon Dominello wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 April 2001 23:03, you wrote:
> > I don't think it is possible to read Amiga floppy disks using a standard PC
> > floppy controller - you need an additional hardware solution.  This is true
> > You need a device like the Catweasel, which is an 8-bit ISA card that
> > serves as a floppy controller that is rather more flexible than that of the
> > standard PC.  (It can read [and write, under Linux] Apple II, Commodore,
> > Amiga, and various Atari disk formats, among others.

DROOOL!! I want one!! I've got a ton of Apple II disks that I've been
thinking "I REALLY need to get the data off of them before datarot fully
sets in" (not to mention Amiga disks..)  hmmm well I dont think I can get
one right now... 8(

> > available through "Software Hut", [ http://www.softhut.com/ ].  Softhut's
> > site uses a slightly brain-damaged cgi store script, so I won't try to post
> > a link - just search on Catweasel from the front page.  Their price is
> > ~$100. Weirdly, Software Hut appears to be located in West Chester, PA,
> > though I can't tell from the site if it is web-only.

Yeah, they used to be downtown. I dont know if they have a storefront out
in west chester or not, but I'm sure you could email them and ask about
picking an item up.. since you're in the region... they have LONG been the
Amiga store in the region.

> > There's also a build-it-yourself solution, the "Amiga Floppy Reader
> > Project", which runs through the parallel port.  A cursory check reveals
> > that the site is unavailable, and Google doesn't have it in its cache.

The following may be of interest:
Amiga disk file format FAQ:
http://perso.club-internet.fr/lclevy/adflib/adf_info.html

Everything I seem to be able to peel up on the Floppy reader project turns
out a dead end... I think it's a conspiracy!

Mmmmmm.... Amiga!

If I ever go about getting one of these, I think I finally found a reason
for HUGE disk drives, not collecting mp3s, I've always gawked at people
filling up their mega-gig drives.. 8)

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
http://www.slackware.com/~msimons to be constantly created again a home!