beldon on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:28:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Kernel 2.4 under RH7

The latest patch for gcc on RH7 is 2.96.  The latest stable version of gcc is 2.95.3.  While RedHat's 2.96 fix is supposed to be more stable, I have had trouble compiling kernels with it.  kgcc is simply a renamed, stable gcc.  Red Hat knew that shipping an unstable gcc was for shit as far as compiling kernels, so all source rpms for RH kernels direct the makefile to kgcc.

The following is quoted from the Linux kernel mailing list: