gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:50:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Kernel 2.4 under RH7

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 03:01:50PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> Does that apply even AFTER you've gotten all the revelent RH 7
> patches/bug/security fixes, Tony? By which I mean... if you keep up with the
> RH7 patches, do you get a "stable" and usable gcc, and therefore don't
> always have to use kgcc to kernel compile with?
>
> If you know, that is.

So far as I know, no. Check your gcc version though, that's the
easiest way to be sure. 2.95.3 is the latest official, stable
release.

RedHat decided to ship a version of gcc that the FSF is not supporting
and never had any plans to support.

Ideally, you should just blow it away and replace it with gcc 2.95.3
(but don't build that gcc with the broken gcc you've got, or the new
ld you install with 2.95.3 won't know what to do with itself, or any
of your existing binaries). Actually, wait, if RedHat built all of
the 7 release with the bad gcc, then you don't want to replace gcc,
as the ld you've got can't load binaries made by other versions of
gcc and any other ld you install won't be able to load the binaries
you've got. What a mess.

I would speculate, then, that lilo cannot load a kernel built with
the bad gcc, which would explain RH's including this "kgcc" thing
(probably just an actually supported version of gcc that writes out
byte code intelligbly by standard lds). Though I haven't tried. (I
don't use Linux, much less RedHat, and the gcc I use from day to
day is much older, but supported internally by NetBSD. We'll probably
jump to the current gcc with 3.0, when the FSF plans to have true,
robust multi-platform support included. No, it isn't now.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net