Mental on Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:20:15 -0400

[PLUG] I have an idea

How useful would it be if you could manage user accounts/mail
delivery/aliases/whatever from one central place for multiple OS's?

I've decided that pam, ldap and samba are just itching to be tied together
into one killer app.

My idea is to setup an ldap cluster that handles user accounts for the
network (sort of like NIS but for win32, and *nix), mail
forwarding/aliases and services.

As proof of concept, I have this setup so that apache can authenticate off
ldap, sendmail uses ldap for mail delivery/forwarding/ and soon, aliases.
Ldap support is still a little immature in samba, but its getting there.
Acl's will let you have finer control over who can edit what.
Objectclasses give you the ability to setup useraccounts that work for
some services, but not others.

I've structured my directory so that domains are segregated, and thus
managers for one domain cannot change/access domains they're not in.

All in all, its shaping up to be fairly cool.

Once its done, it would be fairly simple to extend it a bit further and
create an open standard for groupware using ldap as the back end and
simply defining how the client connects. As proof of concept it would be
fairly simple to use X-headers for groupware functions/requests to the
mail client. The client should then be able to connect to ldap, bind iwth
its DN and do whatever the user specifies. Here's where sslwrap comes in
handy... Further, since ldap is so easy to integrate it could potentialy
allow corporations to create massive ldap trees. Ones distributed
internationally.... But I digress.

I really need to get my braindumps into human readable format and start
writing howtos.

Does this sound interesting to anyone but me?

Initially I just plan on using it to route mail. For me. But there's
massive potential here. A decent structure and well put together
documentation could very well set a standard we'd all come to enjoy.

--
Mental

Height, Hell, Time, Haste, Terror, Tension
Life, Death, Want, Waste, Mass Depression
Old habits reappear
Fighting the fear of fear
Growing conspiracy
Myself is after me