Rupert Heesom on Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:20:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] crontab entry not working

On 18 Apr 2001 14:42:15 -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> I'm trying to create a crontab entry which would create a file with the
> current day's date as the file name.   To test the cron entry, I put
> together the following cron line.  The error I get mailed to me, are the
> 2 lines below.   Evidently cron doesn't like the "%" I have in the
> command.    Is this normal?
>
> If so, would I be able to run the same command using a shell script run
> as a cron job?
>
> Crontab line:
> */2 * * * * touch $(date +%a-%e-%m)

I've now tried to put the command in a shell script, and run the script
as a cron job, less luck - I don't get any error msgs this time.

Cron line -

    */2 * * * * /home/rupert/Scripts/Date_cronjob

    (I have several lines above this one in the crontab, all starting
    with "#" to comment them out)

Script file permissions -

    -rwxrw-r--    1 rupert   rupert         52 Apr 18 14:52 Date_cronjob

Script file contents -

    #!/bin/sh

    cd /home/rupert
    touch $(date +%a-%e-%m)

This has been a long standing issue for me; not being able to put
together working cron jobs.
Can anyone show me where I'm going wrong??

If I run the script manually, it does what I want to do OK, but the cron
daemon doesn't seem to touch it!

--
regs
rupert