Bill Jonas on Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:50:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] TAR command line question

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 10:50:41AM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> In my LPIC studies, the command line of "TAR CVFB /DEV/TAPE 20 /" is
> supposed to be correct because the order of the modifiers are the same
> as the arguments.
>
> Now, when I look at the command line,  assuming that the modifier "C"
> correlates to "/dev/tape", "F" to "/" and "B" to "20", I think that the
> arguments should be in the order of "/dev/tape / 20".

'f' is where you want the output created.  It could be 'filename.tar', '-'
(for stdout), or '/dev/tape', for example.  'c' just means to create the
archive -- it doesn't correlate to any of the arguments, really (except
the list of files, I suppose).  I've never used the 'b' option, so I
really don't know where its argument would go, although do note that
according to the man page, 20 is the default for GNU tar anyway.

Couple of examples:

$ tar cf filename.tar *    #Create an archive called 'filename.tar'
                           #containing all files
$ tar cf - . |gzip -c - >file.tar.gz #Compress the file along the way

could be off-base with this (I've never specified the blocksize, for
example, so I can't intelligently discuss that).  See tar(1) for the
tersest tar treatise you'd ever care to look at.

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin