William Shank on Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:11:03 -0400

RE: [PLUG] JDK 1.3 and RH7.1

  >:-p

  Well, I've been able to successfully run IBM's 1.3 JDK. There are
compatibility libs, but I don't know if
  there are environment variables that also need to be set to point to the
new libs. I also don't know what
  that would do to other apps that don't use the older libs.

  chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Brosius
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: 4/19/01 3:16 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] JDK 1.3 and RH7.1

William Shank wrote:

> I just installed RH7.1 yesterday and I cannot get java to run. I'm
using the
> Sun JDK1.3_02, which is the latest. java -version doesn't execute, and
> cannot get Forte to launch either. however, i see defunct java
processes
> running in the process table. i think it may be related to the issue
that
> prevents oracle8i from running as described in the release notes.
which is
> that oracle is linked to the glibc 2.1 libs, where as RH7.1 runs the
glibc
> 2.2. anyone experiencing similar problems? any fixes? i'm going to try
the
> fix for oracle, but i'm not sure if there are other env. variables
that need
> to be created as well. any help or advice is appreciated (unless you
suggest
> i switch to debian, in which case i'll just stick my tongue out at you
;-p )

> chris

Switch to SuSE? (runs)...

Does RH7.1 come with a set of glibc2.1 compatibility libs?  It could be
painful, but if you have to run RH7.1 then it should be possible to run
anything you want against a different set of libc libraries (but it's
painful, I wouldn't wish it on anyone, even a RH user... (runs again))

Kevin