William Shank on Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:24:56 -0400

RE: [PLUG] JRE suggestions?

Blackdown JVM eventually went into Sun's JDK. I haven't compared the 1.1
JVM's in a while, but the 1.3 stuff from IBM is super fast, especially if
for swing (GUI's).

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Jonas
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: 4/22/01 12:26 PM
Subject: [PLUG] JRE suggestions?

So the other day I wanted to play some Java games in Konqueror.  I'd
heard
of Blackdown before (used it to run Oracle's OUI), so I downloaded it
and
installed it.  Then I realized that I didn't see source on their web
site
or their ftp site.  I went looking around, on Freshmeat and such, and
the
only other JRE I found was IBM's (and I don't think you can get the
source
to that one, either).

This got me wondering if anyone has compared Blackdown to IBM's JRE.  Or
if there are any others for Linux besides these two, with or without
source.  And which one performs best.  Thoughts, suggestions, links?

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin