Bill Jonas on Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:23:55 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: linux newbie here

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 09:53:51AM -0700, matty mo wrote:
> yup. i was logged in as root. i just did ls -la
> /dev/hdc and got
>
> brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 22, 0 Sep 27 2000 /dev/hdc

Then you should add yourself to the CD-ROM group.  Use the vigr command.
(man vigr)  If you don't want to use vi, set your EDITOR or VISUAL
environment variable to something else (ie, /usr/bin/joe, /bin/ae,
/usr/bin/emacs, or whatever your preferred editor is).

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin