Darxus on Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:40:16 -0400

[PLUG] multi-user screen

Jim asked me how multiple people could view the same console on a linux box
simultaneously.  My initial thought was ttysnoop, but that's a little
complicated.  Then I remembered rumours that recent versions of screen
could do this.

I figured it out.

I decided to share with PLUG.

First, you need to "chmod u+s /usr/bin/screen" - because multi-user
non-root attaches only work if screen is suid root.

Then, user one starts screen:

 [one]$ screen

Then user one makes his screen session multi-user, and allows connections
from user two.  This requires typing 2 screen commands.  To get to the
screen command prompt, you type control-a, then colon, like so:

 ctrl-a :
 multiuser on
 ctrl-a :
 addacl two

Then user two lists user one's screens:

 [two]$ screen -ls one/
 There is a suitable screen on:
         14544.pts-2.dev20       (Multi, attached)
 1 Socket in /home/one/.screen.

The "Multi" part is important, and a result of user one doing the
"multiuser on"

User two then uses this information to connect to user one's screen:

 [two]$ screen -x one/14544.pts-2.dev20

Voila, you're now both doing the same thing.  Yes, screen rocks.

If you have not yet learned the ways of screen, your life is far from
complete.

man screen.

--
http://www.ChaosReigns.com