matty mo on Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:53:34 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: linux newbie here

by the way, this problem "permission denied" even for
root is also effecting the floppy drive.

also, i forgot to add in the last email that I took a
look at the log file and nothing seemed unusual
(though i'm not totally sure what i was looking at -
nothing said error or anything like that... ?)

matt

--- Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
> > i tried /dev/hdc and /dev/cdrom - in both cases i
> get
> > "permission denied" - interestingly i also get
> > permission denied when i try /var/log/messages
>
> Are you doing this as a regular user, or as root?
>
> Log in as root, and try this:
>
> ls -la /dev/hdc
>
> This will show you the current permissions for this
> device. You might need
> to set the permissions for that device. And only
> root can do that.
>
> Same thing applies to /var/log - log in as root, and
> then do a "more dmesg"
> will show you the last boot messages. This will show
> you if the device was
> properly detected. (messages is the full log of
> messages, including any
> generated during the running of the system; dmesg is
> only the messages
> during the last startup).
>
> No quotes, of course.
>
> > i don't get any sounds, in kde, gnome, system
> sounds
> > or sound files
>
> Quite possibly the same reason - permissions on the
> /dev/audio device. Do a
> "ls -la /dev/audio" as root. And if /dev/audio is a
> link to something, do a
> "ls -la" on the target, too.
>
> Also, when you reply, do a REPLY ALL - this way the
> mailing list gets a
> copy.

=====
"cosmic systems intertwine
astral bodies drip like wine
all of nature ebbs and flows
...why does all of nature rejoice?" - mad donna
http://www.gardenprimitive.net

http://auctions.yahoo.com/