Rupert Heesom on Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:32:29 -0400

[PLUG] syslog.conf syntax

Whilst studying for the LPI 101 exam, I'm looking at the syntax for the
syslog.conf lines.

The differences in the syntax of facility & priority is confusing to me,
even the man page for syslog.conf has differences in that I don't
understand -

The part I don't understand is the difference between
*.crit     /var/log/xxx
*.=crit   /var/log/xxx

My study book said something about the ".=priority" serves to specify
that the msgs from that source go to a specific log.   Well, the syntax
WITHOUT the "=" also go a specific named logs.

The following lines taken out of the syslog.conf man page contain
different syntaxes but don't explain the differences -

*.=crit;kern.none            /var/adm/critical
kern.*                       /var/adm/kernel
kern.info;kern.!err          /var/adm/kernel-info
mail.=info                   /dev/tty12

The following line contains "mail.!=info".  What is the difference
between that syntax and "mail.!info"

mail.*;mail.!=info           /var/adm/mail

--

regs
rupert