Bill Jonas on Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:45:39 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Printer failure

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 03:57:36PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> Yes, but - in reality - how many people use PLIP? Besides Chris, who used it
> to set up the PLUG laptop. :-)
> I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using it, much less know someone who
> uses it (regularly).

Admittedly, you don't need it very often, but when you do, it's *damned*
handy.  It saved my bacon once when I was upgrading a laptop from slink
(or the one before that) to potato.  (Apt (installed first from the newer
distribution) was kind enough to upgrade the kernel for me...)  PCMCIA
didn't work, the floppy drive wasn't reliable....

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin