root on Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:40:51 -0400

[PLUG] Re: using Xfig with LaTeX

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, MaD dUCK wrote:

> beating around my thesis, i am trying several methods of including
> Xfig drawings in LaTeX. currently, i am using fig2dev to create .eps
> file, which I \psfig into the document. nevertheless, while the result
> is fine, mpage seems unable to handle the documents and corrupts the
> .ps file right around the included picture (which is rotated 90
> degrees by mpage). furthermore, latex2html can't extract a single of
> these pictures and just reports errors, leaving .png files of zero
> length everywhere.
>
> so i am interested to hear how you guys embed .fig files in latex with
> the ability to scale them to a certain width. and yes, it should be a
> batch process to be run from Makefile.

<SNIP>

I'm not sure familar with the software (fig2dev, \psfig, mpage) but
I have created Xfig  pictures, exported to .eps files, and
then used  \usepackage{epsfig} to insert into a LaTeX file.
The package epsfig can scale and translate.
If fig2dev converts .fig files to .eps files you don't have
to export from Xfig to get an .eps file.

I don't know what there is to do to make it batch. Perhaps you
can have a Perl script read the LaTex file, and insert some commands
there.

If you want to publish on the web, I would see if you could use a .pdf
file instead. I think there is software to turn TeX to pdf, not sure
about LaTex.  I think there is commercial software to turn .ps to pdf.
I had problems with latex2html on complex documents.

Hope this

klee12@yahoo.com