Gleeson, Francis (HT-EX) on Tue, 1 May 2001 12:26:52 -0400

[PLUG] psgml emacs/xemacs configuration

Title: psgml emacs/xemacs configuration

I would like to get xemacs configured for html editing.
There seems to be many ways to configure emacs for html.
What I would like is a "proper" html mode. Which would
mean font-lock and smart indenting at a minimum. I am not
that interested in smart tools that can auto insert html.

I have spent the last couple of days downloading an attempting
to use the various packages out there. I seems like there are several
font-lock capable modes.

hm-html
html-helper
html-font

It also seems like if I want smart indenting I have to get psgml
properly configured. Which seems to be a major pain.

Has anyone gotten this working? It seems pretty confusing to me.
I know I need valid DTDs for any SGML derived language that I want
psgml to support. I downloaded openjade just to steal the DTD files.

I can not seem to get emacs to be able to find the html "entity".
I am pretty fuzzy on the role of all the sgml mode variables
like sgml-public-map for example. Also what does a category file look like
and what does it do? After reading several howtos its clear as mud.
Any pointers or tips would be appreciated.