LeRoy Cressy on Tue, 1 May 2001 14:51:01 -0400

Re: [PLUG] psgml emacs/xemacs configuration

> "Gleeson, Francis (HT-EX)" wrote:
>
> I would like to get xemacs configured for html editing.
> There seems to be many ways to configure emacs for html.
> What I would like is a "proper" html mode. Which would
> mean font-lock and smart indenting at a minimum. I am not
> that interested in smart tools that can auto insert html.

I'll answer the xemacs question:

First use xemacs 20 (Version 20 comes preloaded with an html mode)

Name your files filename.html to auto load the html mode.

When creating a new html file edit the first line of the new file

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN"> to
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"> or 4.0

depending on what version of html you are using.
Also:
in the options menu under syntax highlighting select colors for a nice
color layout and also select most.

Under the html menu you might want to edit the file options and user
options.  I have found that I like using the indent data option which
makes for indenting both the date ant end tags like:

    Some text

--
Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )