gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 2 May 2001 10:31:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] LPIC: User groups in Linux

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 10:43:47AM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> I understand the part about adding "George" to the "humres" group to
> give him write permissions to the directory, but I dont' understand why
> "humres" has to then become his DEFAULT group for the group permissions
> to work for him?  Surely just because he has membership in the "humres"
> group will give him the correct permissions?

They don't mean the same thing by "default" that you do. You're
talking about the group field in /etc/passwd. They're talking about
the egid.

This sentence is misleading:
> group, he would then have write permission to the directory after he
> makes the humres group his default group.

... but the point is that the new group won't show up for George
until he either preforms a chgrp to it or logs back in after he's
been added to the correct line in /etc/group.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net