Rupert Heesom on Tue, 1 May 2001 15:51:15 -0400

[PLUG] LPIC: User groups in Linux

I'm studying for the LPI 101 exam.

In my practice test, there's a question re group permissions -

A listing of the /data directory shows
	drw-rw-r--   1	root  accounting 17249	Sep   7  10:08	accounting
	drw-rw-r--   1	root  admin	  7202	Sep  17   9:10
	administration
	drw-rw-r--   1	root  humres	 13367	Sep   1  12:58	humres
	drw-rw-r--   1	root  sales	  9449	Sep  22   7:34	sales

George, who is a member of the admin group, attempts to delete a file
contained in the humres directory but is unsuccessful. What do you and
George need to do to allow George to delete files in this directory?

In order to delete a file, you must have the write permission to the
directory containing the file. By making George a member of the humres
group, he would then have write permission to the directory after he
makes the humres group his default group.

I understand the part about adding "George" to the "humres" group to
give him write permissions to the directory, but I dont' understand why
"humres" has to then become his DEFAULT group for the group permissions
to work for him?  Surely just because he has membership in the "humres"
group will give him the correct permissions?

Is making "humres" his default group a way of VALIDATING that group for
him without having to log back in?

--
regs
rupert