LeRoy Cressy on Wed, 2 May 2001 17:16:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Kernel compile error message

The top level Makefile has the following lines in it thus making the
include path equal

TOPDIR  := $(shell /bin/pwd)

HPATH           = $(TOPDIR)/include
FINDHPATH       = $(HPATH)/asm $(HPATH)/linux $(HPATH)/scsi $(HPATH)/net

CPPFLAGS := -D__KERNEL__ -I$(HPATH)

So the kernel has its own header path built into the Makefile and not
depending upon the C preprocessor default path.  Thus if VA Linux
changed the source Makefile variables and made them point to
/usr/include you can have problems with a kernel compile.

You can use any normal kernel source from the kernel mirrors.  What some
manufacturers do is take out the parts of the kernel that are not needed
for the specific archecture, but if they are not careful something may
break, which seems to have happened in your case.

Sergey Ostrovsky wrote:

> Kernel sources includes look like this :
> #include <linux/blah.h>
> or
> #include <asm/blah.h>
> or similar.
> That means these include files should actually be at C-preprocessor-default-path/linux/blah.h, etc.
>
> C preprocessor default paths usually are /usr/include and /usr/local/include.
> So, you supply links from your /usr/include to corresponding nodes of the unpacked kernel's tree
>
> Like this :
> cd /usr/include
> ln -s ../src/linux/include/linux linux
> ln -s ../src/linux/include/asm asm
>
> > <--- snip
> > The symlinks you spoke of aren't in my /usr/include...what specifically should be symlinked there (the name of the source for the link)?
>
> Sergey Ostrovsky.

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037          > ^ <