Mental on Tue, 8 May 2001 10:45:17 -0400

Re: [PLUG] ui opinion (flame off)

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 09:37:59AM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> I find this to be interesting.  I'm originally a mac guy so I think the
> whole drop down menu w/ cutting and pasting of files is silly actually,
> just a religious urge I'm sure. I usually drag and drop. I think the hot
> keys are good, but to navigate a menu IMHO takes more time than opening
> two windows b/c you are going to have to get to the destination
> graphically in order to paste anyway.  Of course, I'm forgetting that you
> have better navigation now than the mac w/ the up arrows and such. I guess
> I should spend more time in X, since I learned cli, I use that the most.
> However, I did copy a bunch of files to diff dirs and rename them, no
> decent pattern to match and I used konqueror, drag and drop.  I like it.

Anyone ever use EFM (before it got thrown out for a rewrite)? It was a
file manager Raster was working on for E17. It looked sort of like mac's
finder, but it was also a shell. You could just type into the windows to
do stuff, or visualy drag things. It autoupdated (imon is cool), I havent
looked at cvs in a while, but when its done I'm going to be very happy.
Besides nice font support, it was very pretty looking in that imlib2 did
some nice transparency effects. Native ttf support via freetype and it
had a fairly nice file associations type thingy. I sort of miss it. It was
essentially a proof of concept piece. It will be an integrated part of E.

I have an old shot showing parts of it up at e.t.o:
http://e.themes.org/php/pic.phtml?src=shots/970282890.jpg

Dont ask me for code, I dont have it anymore. However, I did prefer efm
over gmc and kfm.

--
Mental