Gleeson, Francis (HT-EX) on Wed, 9 May 2001 12:00:07 -0400

[PLUG] which xemacs/emacs html mode is best?

Title: which xemacs/emacs html mode is best?

I think (x)emacs is an excellent editor. I have been trying to
configure it as an html editor. As usual in emacsen there are
*too* many ways to do the same thing.

There seems to be several html capable modes. Depending on what
exactly you want to do. I have been trying to enumerate them and
qualify what sort of support they provide.

hm--html-mode     - fontlock and indent
html-helper-mode  - fontlock and indents lists only?
psgml             - indent + validation requires external DTDs
html-font         - fontlock only

Are there any modes missing from this list. Has anyone seen a good
comparison of the various modes anywhere on the web? Or feel like
offering opinions based on experience?

psgml seems to be the cadillac of html modes, but the configuration
is non-trivial.