Gleeson, Francis (HT-EX) on Fri, 11 May 2001 13:00:06 -0400

RE: [PLUG] which xemacs/emacs html mode is best?

Title: RE: [PLUG] which xemacs/emacs html mode is best?

I have got psgml working finally. Now that it's configured
properly it seems to work very well. The toughest part was
getting a valid catalog, and DTD file setup. I was reading
all the howto's on w3.org, but then I got lucky and stumbled
onto http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib/pro/html/dtds/htmlpro.html
they have free open source DTDs. All you have to do is download
the correct platform and unzip to the right directory. There are
absolute path references in at least the windows version.

Once the DTDs are in place just tell emacs\xemacs about them.
(setq sgml-catalog-files '("C:\\html\\dtds\\catalog"))

It seems like psgml is a drop in replacement for sgml. So I had
a remove (load sgml) from my .emacs. Because it is a drop in replacement
all of the same variables names are used (like sgml-catalog-files).

It handles structured indenting and font lock. So I was able to remove
all other html modes.