Eric Allan Lucas on Sat, 19 May 2001 17:10:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Curious hardware? issue

Actually, I'm the original poster and yes, I did get it working.
It turned out to be embarrassingly mundane: the mouse.

  I jumped to a conclusion because disconnecting the second
disk (the Linux disk) appeared to solve the problem.  Actually,
my wife (the primary user) told me two days later that the problem
was still there.  Sigh.  So I reconnected the Linux disk to
see if the problem appeared while running RH 7.1.  Yes it did.

This left me with hardware and although it would sometimes not
respond to the keyboard it was primarily a "mouse" problem.

Now, I was reluctant to believe it was the mouse because it
is only about 6 months old and is one of the Microsoft
"Intellimouse" optical mice (not the explorer).   Well, I put
my explorer on there and it works great.  Problem solved!

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions!

Eric Lucas

Kevin Brosius wrote:

> Yeah, and since he says it works for a while, and locks up later, that
> suggests INT or DMA trouble.
>
> Wonder if he got it working yet?
>
> The other thing to check, if he's running Win98 and not a newer flavor
> like Win98SE, is that the ide and DMA drivers are up to date.  Some
> chipsets (for example VIA) have installable drivers for bus master DMA
> and newer versions may work better with multiple hard drives.
>
> > I disagree, the original posters info is a little sketchy.
> > But I think his desired hardware config is something like
> >
> > IDE0: Master: (Unknown EIDE drive): Partition1[Win98 FAT32]
> >       Slave:  (Maxtor 2 Gig):       standard RH7.1 partitioning

[[cut]]

--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth