Charles Stack on Wed, 23 May 2001 12:20:06 -0400

RE: [PLUG] DSL providers (was: Install)

I think we are heading towards keeping the 1/2 T1 and cancelling our DSL
when the contract is up.  For the added cost of the T1, we get superior
service, consistent bandwidth and line monitoring.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of k hill
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 12:02 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] DSL providers (was: Install)

Charles Stack wrote:

> I called VoiceNet in response to the the earlier message posted here to
see
> what the deal was.  Seems that the story may be true.
>
> I am now awaiting a callback from VoiceNet explaining to me what the
impact
> will be to *MY* business now that supposedly *ALL* VoiceNet DSL service is
> being switch to Verizon rather than COVAD (not just ADSL).  Will Verizon
> supply service in Pottstown or am I left fishing for a new provider?
>
> Charles

My 2 cents: Verizon is unlikely to start new services in the
Philadelphia area soon. There is a complete work stoppage for this
business quarter and possibly indefinitely as far as installing new
equipment goes. (Hence my recent unemployment) However, Sprint has been
pushing the line sharing technology to increase their foot print. I
never worked in Pottstown, so I don't know if they have Hekimian's
there, or in your loop, but it is coming I am sure. It is no secret that
the telephony industry is struggling and Covad is trying to get out of
the line provider end of it. So if Covad is your line provider, and your
dsl provider is 2 seconds late on a payment they are axing them. I don't
know where Covad is headed but I suspect they may be thinking of
dropping residential level work altogether. This is all speculation and
a quick upswing in the market could change things but expect it to be
harder and more expensive to get collocation services at a residential
level for a bit. Collo rooms at most CO s are not too crowded and
getting less crowded. How the group collo sites are affecting this is
unknown to little ole me. Not good for the end user, but I do hope this
is growing pains and not permanent.

kristin