Bill Jonas on Thu, 24 May 2001 20:00:33 -0400

Re: [PLUG] pppoe on debian

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 04:55:10PM -0400, Nicolai Rosen wrote:
> The interface should be "up" before you connect but should not be
> configured to have an ip address
>
> So what does ""up"" mean?

You might try 'ifconfig eth0 up'.  I'm just guessing, though.  It *does*
seem like an odd state for a NIC to be in.  Perhaps they mean have the
module loaded beforehand?

> Also, the README says to add a few lines to configuration files which
> include the user specified by user@host. The information given to me by
> Earthlink gives our username as "fredrosen" without any @host type
> info. Was the original merely the specifics of that person's connection or
> should it really be user@host?

I'd probably try just 'fredrosen' as the username.

Note, though, that I've never set up PPPoE, so I'm just doing some
guessing here.  Note too that the 2.4 series has support for PPPoE.

Which version of pppoe are you using?  The one from stable, unstable, or
testing?  The version in unstable is two major revisions ahead of the one
in unstable... If you *are* running stable, you could change your deb-src
lines to unstable and then 'apt-get -b source pppoe' to build the version
of the package that's in unstable.

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin