Jason Costomiris on Thu, 24 May 2001 23:57:41 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RedHat 7.1 glibc2.1 Backward compat - revisited

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 02:13:42PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
: I understood the problem to be that first, the gcc shipped with RH
: 7.x *can't* compile Linux kernel code (which, though it's a bit
: intricate and convoluted, is not particularly outlandish in its
: usage), and second, because a separate gcc was used for the kernel,
: it was necessary to build any device drivers or LKMs you were
: compiling locally with a gcc matching that of the kernel rather than
: that of the system.

This *was* true at one time, RedHat 7.0 had the gcc/kgcc difference.

RedHat 7.1 does behave in this way.  The shipping gcc builds the kernel
just fine thanks.

Before you bash, keep up.  It was a slight deficiency at one point,
easily abated.  Come on, how many times does one need to hear, "to build
the kernel, use kgcc"?

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.