Tim Peeler on Thu, 24 May 2001 12:27:29 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RedHat 7.1 glibc2.1 Backward compat - revisited

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 12:08:47PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> 	I'm not going to add to the debate, just remark that a broken
> compiler can easily fixed by downloading the 'approved' ver and compiling
> that w/ the 'broken' compiler.  Then use the 'fixed' compiler and compile
> again and reinstall. Now everything should be compliant.  Someone please
> tell me if this is wrong.
>
> 	Also, how can a compiler be incompatible w/ a kernel. What does
The kernel needs the compiler to align bits properly, inline functions
properly, initialize static values in the binary properly and hundreds
of other things.  If it doesn't do this, your kernel won't boot or it'll
crash at random places. The gcc that RH ships doesn't do these things
properly.  So not only is the binary kernel it produces wrong, the binary
libs are wrong too.  Think of it as a translator during a peace talk,
if the translator fubars the translation you could get WWIII.