Tim Peeler on Thu, 24 May 2001 12:30:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] newbies guide to java?

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 12:01:13PM -0400, drexel wrote:
> Ummm
>
> I want to learn the stuff that is used with web design
>
> I understand that it is a programming language as well... but I only want to
> learn basic web applications of it.
>
> I dont program and I have no interest in learnign to program.  I do more
> then enough things and I have enough "hats" as is.
>
> But I do have an interest in learning how to make web pages "look cooler"  I
> wanted to learn how do some frames and the like.  I played around with
> frames and I got lost.... and I learn better from a book I can hold in my
> hand as opposed to a webpage.
>
> I hope that clarifies what I need a bit

Sounds like you want to learn javascript then.  I wouldn't use java to
pretty up a web page, but javascript should do what you want.  If you
know C, and have a clue about some OO you could try the JavaScript
Pocket Reference from O'Reilly.  It doesn't take you into an in-depth
look at the use of javascript, and it doesn't teach you how to be a
programmer.  It's exactly what it says, a reference for javascript.
Peruse it before you buy it, you may be looking for something more
in-depth.  You might also want to look into the CSS-1 reference so
you can quickly and more easily beautify your web pages.

Tim