Rupert Heesom on Fri, 25 May 2001 18:20:18 -0400

[PLUG] My UK keyboard messed up

I have recently gone through wars with my PC, when I first tried
implementing Log Vol Man, I messed up, and one lvcreate command killed
the whole LVM setup.  I had to reinstall Linux, and other progs, then
use my tape backup (I DO like backups when they're needed!) to restore
all my important docs, and stuff like my evolution mail database.

Now, though, I've got a really strange thing happening.  Although I
chose a UK keyboard when I installed RH linux v7.0, I know find (only in
X windows (Gnome) that my <Backspace> key now acts like my <Delete> key.
The <Delete> key also acts as it should.  So, I 've got 2 delete keys
now.  Since I use my backspace key continually when I'm typing, it's
really frustrating me!

If I go to a console screen (Cntl + Alt + F1), the backspace key works
fine.  It's only in X that I have hell!

I've looked at the /etc/X11/XF86Config file, and changed it slightly,
but this has made no difference.  (I DID get imwheel installed/working
again).  Here's my keyboard section of the XF86Config file -

# **********************************************************************
# Keyboard section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Keyboard"
   Protocol    "Standard"

   AutoRepeat  500 5

# when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
# following line
   # Protocol   "Xqueue"

# Let the server do the NumLock processing.  This should only be
# required when using pre-R6 clients
   # ServerNumLock

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
   # Xleds      1 2 3

# To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
# RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:

   LeftAlt         Meta
   RightAlt        Meta
   ScrollLock      Compose
   RightCtl        Control

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#    XkbDisable

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
    XkbModel    "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#    XkbModel    "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
# or:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
#    XkbVariant  "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#    XkbOptions  "ctrl:nocaps"
    XkbRules    "xfree86"
    XkbModel    "pc101"