Stan Schwartz on Mon, 28 May 2001 12:17:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux art tools and artists

multiple seriousity <msimons@slackware.com> wrote:
Currently, I'm involved in an Arts and Environmental non-profit
organization called CARP.  We just recently got a new facility/office
space.  Eventually our goal is to have a large facility with various
workshops, etc.  Either way, eventually I'd like to provide for, and I
think it fits in with our overall vision to dedicate some of our space and
efforts to 'nerd arts' or would you prefer 'geek arts' such as computer
and computational graphics, robotics, etc.
[...]
I think I can say that we would be
willing to provide for meeting space and would like to get involved in and
help incubate any efforts which would blend these aspects of technical and
creative skills and abilities.

My own prior attempt at collaborative computer art involved artists from all over the country (or at least six, mostly bi-coastal artists :-) electronically exchanging scanned fragments of previously completed works to be used by other artists within the group to create new works. The results are hosted within my web site at <http://www.stanschwartzmeta-arts.com/groupart>.

I'd be interested in another collaboration, maybe this time more for local
geek artists (or computationally gifted dabblers) who could actually meet,
something animated, interactive, ever-changing, and whose final form could
only exist virtually or on the web, unlike the still images output from my
previous collaboration.  I was thinking of something like an ALife
environment built in JAVA, with project members contributing pieces of an
ecology of art objects/organisms with visual aspects that would move
around a 3D space.  The art objects could have sex (producing new art
objects with features of both parents), eat other other (one takes on
features removed from the other), have limited lifespans (even if not
eaten, organisms could sink to the bottom or float to the top and
disappear), evolve (small chance of new features being added in
intergenerationally), etc.  The interactive aspect would allow viewers to
do something godlike to stir the pot.  Any interest?

If anybody is interested in this stuff, feel free to drop me an email (or
discuss on-list as long as it doesnt venture too far from topic), also if
anybody is interested in the organization, or is interested in discussing
these other topics CARP/I am putting together an Impromptu Barbeque for
this Monday the 28th to invite all members and other interested parties
out to our new building to chat, relax, get excited, socialize, whatever.

Can't make the barbecue because I'm already booked, but as I said, I would enjoy a chance to collaborate, either on this one or other 2D/3D graphic projects that your members may come up with.

Take care,
Stan

P.S. I also use Slackware. I like its bare-wire, breadboard quality (metaphorically speaking).

P.P.S.  I'd like to hear off-list if you'd had any involvement with P3AE
(Philadelphia Tri-state Artist's Equity).  I've been involved with them for
about a year now, tried to get interest for collaborative computer art
projects, and was frustrated by the lack of response.
    *                                                      Stan Schwartz *
    *                                          Graphics Algorithm Design *
    *                                                  Computational Art *
    *                                     stan@stanschwartzmeta-arts.com *
    *                             <http://www.stanschwartzmeta-arts.com> *
    * "Nothing is true and everything is permitted."                     *
    *  William Burroughs                                                 *
    * "All profoundly original art looks ugly at first."                 *
    *  Clement Greenberg                                                 *
    * "The Net treats censorship as damage and routes around it."        *
    *  John Gilmore                                                      *