multiple seriousity on Fri, 25 May 2001 05:40:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux art tools and artists

Greetings,

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Stan Schwartz wrote:
> I have played with GIMP (both to create art and develop plug-ins), am
> currently learning Blender, and am in the midst of a career change from
> expert system developer to conventional artist to graphic algorithm
> designer/computational artist.

That's quite an interesting career change.

>   If you are a Linux user in the greater
> Philadelphia area (presumably) and also have an interest in computational
> and/or aesthetic applications of open-source tools to generate art or
> 2D/3D graphic effects (still, animated, and interactive), I would enjoy
> exchanging ideas with you.  (If you don't share the art interest, but know
> of someone else who does, I'd also appreciate if you could pass this
> message along to them.)  I am not a subscriber to this list, but can
> be reached through email, or any of the contact mechanisms listed at my
> web site.

I haven't done much personally as far as computer graphics go, although
I've worked on some pretty big hardware experimenting with some things,
but I was instrumental in organizing and running a computer graphics,
VR, and media organization or two, and have previously covered and
attended various conferences and events such as SIGGRAPH, although it's
been a little while.

Currently, I'm involved in an Arts and Environmental non-profit
organization called CARP.  We just recently got a new facility/office
space.  Eventually our goal is to have a large facility with various
workshops, etc.  Either way, eventually I'd like to provide for, and I
think it fits in with our overall vision to dedicate some of our space and
efforts to 'nerd arts' or would you prefer 'geek arts' such as computer
and computational graphics, robotics, etc. Our major project, The Please
Take M.E. (Materials Exchange) leads well to robotic and electronics
hobbyists... as we rescue all sorts of discarded materials from the waste
stream. [From 1998-2000 we rescued c. 7 tons of material.] Basically I'm
interested in all sorts of bleeding edge, underground, and even trailing
edge uses of technology.  Things like community networking, nexus, geek
houses, toasternets, free-nets, community built networks: Wireless, MANs,
NAPs, etc., alternative energy, and cluster/parallel computing (beowulf,
mosix, COW, NOW, distributed, etc.. the Stone Soupercomputer is so
inspirational... 8)), databses, media and information resources, etc.

We have decent space at our new building (basically it's a three-story
house) which is on E. York Street in Philadelphia and are currently
planning for it's use, not to mention renovating it and planning for our
computer and connectivity needs.  I think I can say that we would be
willing to provide for meeting space and would like to get involved in and
help incubate any efforts which would blend these aspects of technical and
creative skills and abilities.

If anybody is interested in this stuff, feel free to drop me an email (or
discuss on-list as long as it doesnt venture too far from topic), also if
anybody is interested in the organization, or is interested in discussing
these other topics CARP/I am putting together an Impromptu Barbeque for
this Monday the 28th to invite all members and other interested parties
out to our new building to chat, relax, get excited, socialize, whatever.
If you're interested in coming to the barbeque just drop me an email, it's
open invite to any and all interested in our efforts, and will probably be
pretty small and relaxed.

To find out more about us you can go to the CARP temporary/website URL in
my .signature [Which is sorely in need of some more & new info, but that
will have to wait a little while for now.]

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
http://www.slackware.com/~msimons to be constantly created again a home!