Kevin Brosius on Thu, 31 May 2001 08:28:24 -0400

Re: [PLUG] rescue and scsi

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> So I have this rescue disk that doesn't appear to understand scsi
> disks.
>
> Anyone know how to make a new rescue disk on a different machine that
> does have a scsi driver? I feel like I'm missing something obvious,
> but it's totally unclear to me at the moment.

Depends somewhat on the distro, although (IMHO) it's usually easiest to
build the kernel with the driver (SCSI, in this case) built in rather
than modular.  Then use that kernel for your rescue disk.

Some distros, SuSE for example, support a rescue disk with ramdisk.  I
haven't used it, but the idea is that you can place modular drivers you
need during boot into the ramdisk image and use them during a floppy
boot.

Here's a SuSE support database article:
http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/initrd.html

Hmm, SuSE 7.2 is being announced...