Walt Mankowski on Fri, 1 Jun 2001 05:20:01 -0400

Re: [PLUG] rescue and scsi

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 08:27:28AM -0400, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> >
> > So I have this rescue disk that doesn't appear to understand scsi
> > disks.
> >
> > Anyone know how to make a new rescue disk on a different machine that
> > does have a scsi driver? I feel like I'm missing something obvious,
> > but it's totally unclear to me at the moment.
>
> Depends somewhat on the distro, although (IMHO) it's usually easiest to
> build the kernel with the driver (SCSI, in this case) built in rather
> than modular.  Then use that kernel for your rescue disk.

You might also check out tomsrtbt, available at http://www.toms.net/rb
Here's the description from the FAQ:

: 1) tomsrtbt is
:         "The most GNU/Linux on one floppy disk"
:         for:
:                 rescue recovery panic & emergencies
:                 tools to keep in your shirt pockets
:                 whenever you can't use a hard drive
:
:         Tomsrtbt stands for:
: "Tom's floppy which has a root filesystem and is also bootable."

Walt