joseph Welsh on Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:00:06 -0400

[PLUG] User Accounts

I have a general question about user accounts.
I been working with diffrent flavors of linux now for 2 years
and I been curious about this for awhile

Aside from the security issues ( which in this case don't apply.  Single
user laptop, always connected to internet through a corporate firewall ) is
it better to log on as root or should I still use my user account?

I know about the su command, but should I even bother in this case.  The
only disadvantage to logging in as root is that some programs will not
install as root ( MusicMatch JukeBox and CodeWeavers Wine)

So should I even be thinking about this, or are the some things that I'm
missing?
what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Joe Welsh